How to treat a bee sting (and other painful stings!)


Most of us have been stung by a bee once or twice in our lives and most of the time it happens when we least expect it. While they can be quite painful, they are harmless for the most part. If you have been stung by a wasp or yellowjacket then you will be no stranger to the agonising pain you experience when their pointed stinger pierces your skin.

When you get stung, the last thing that is going through our minds is to look up remedies to make up feel better. This blog will equip you with the knowledge you need so that you are prepared the next time you or one of your loved ones are stung by a flying insect.


Be aware of allergies

First of all, it’s important to distinguish between whether you are experiencing a normal reaction or an allergic one. Non-allergy related symptoms are benign only cause mild pain and discomfort.

Non-allergy related symptoms include:

  • Pain and burning sensations
  • Redness
  • Swelling in the area you were stung
  • Itchiness


What to do if you get stung

It is important to remember to remove the stinger as soon as you have been stung to prevent the injection of more poison. These symptoms normally go away after several hours but the application of the following remedies can help reduce the severity of these symptoms until you feel better.

  • Ensure that the area you are stung is clean to prevent possible infection from developing.
  • Apply ice to the affected area to reduce the swelling.
  • Use an antihistamine to reduce the severity of the itching.

Man running away from swarm of bees graphic

Identifying allergy symptoms

However, for most of us the venom injected by these insects are not life threatening but for a large number of people in the world this causes an allergic reaction which can be potentially life threatening. Allergy related symptoms are more severe than its benign counterpart and it is important to distinguish between them quickly so you can treat it accordingly.

These symptoms include:

  • Breaking out into hives
  • Difficulty breathing and tightness of the throat
  • Lightheadedness and dizziness
  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Severe swelling of the throat, mouth and face


If you are suffering from any of the severe symptoms after being stung then it is advised that you go to the hospital as soon as possible and apply the treatment listed above until the paramedics arrive. It might also be useful to get in contact with your doctor so that you can acquire an Epi Pen which can provide life saving assistance when dealing with any sign of anaphylaxis.

If you’ve noticed a build up of wasps or bees around your home, don’t wait for someone to get stung. Reach out to a member of our friendly team to remove your potentially painful problem today!

Leave A Comment